Thursday, January 16, 2020

Kiss away time


This is a song I wrote in 2000 - it's about the departing spirit of a loved one:

There's a bell ringing
There's a door banging
There's an open wound on the flesh of a child
There's flies buzzing
In the quiet garden
While mother says the injury is mild

I wish I were young again
How I wish I could take away his pain
And kiss away the tears
and laugh away the years
And play like a child at a game

There's music coming
From an open window
The cat upon the fence
Is half asleep
The child resting
The sun warming
Summer afternoons can be so deep

I wish I were young again
Could chase through the meadow and the corn
The sun warms the garden grass
As I drift back towards when I was born

There's a church bell ringing
And a hymn singing
I lift above the sound upon a prayer
I watch slowly
The sad faces
As summer's last breath takes away my cares

Now I am young again
I live within the memories they keep
Now I am young again
I slip away as quietly as sleep

There's a bell ringing
A door banging
The child now has a child all of his own
I watch smiling
As he bends to touch him
And kiss away the tears now that he's grown
Kiss away the tears

(C) Carolyn Sheppard.

No comments: