Tuesday, March 10, 2020

The results are in


Well, we already knew, but the histopathology results have confirmed the cancer in my bowel. Nasty little thing, I shall call it ‘Gertrude’.

Gertrude was found about 15cm into my insides (from the arse end), which is a good thing position wise. It is far in enough for surgery (which is a given) to be able to snip and stitch – so Gertrude and surrounding tissue will be excised, and the two ends of my innards reattached – a slightly shorter run than before.

I had my colonoscopy last week (this is when I met Gertrude – on screen) and the procedure itself
Preparing for colonoscopy
was not much of a drama. The night before (those of you who have had this will know) was worse! So, having established that there was a cancer in my bowel, the colonoscopy nurse took some samples, whose results were what we went to discuss at the hospital today.

I don’t know the stage or the grade of Gertrude yet. We don’t know if it’s aggressive, or easily intimidated, and we don’t know if it has spread at all. These options will be determined by:
  • CT scan to see if the cancer has spread anywhere
  • MRI scan to get a more detailed idea of where Gertrude is and which parts of my innards it has attached to (wall, nodes etc)
  • Surgery to remove Gertrude and stitch my pipes back together
  • Dissection – once Gertrude is surgically removed, it will go back for further pathology investigation.

The important thing now for me is the timeline, which is something on the lines of the scans (not on the same day) within the next two weeks or so, then the earliest surgical appointment that can be had. Possibly up to another month after the scans, if I’m lucky, earlier.

The reports on the deported Gertrude will determine whether I need any other treatment. Radiotherapy is unlikely due to the location, but chemotherapy is a possibility. It totally depends on what they find with the scans and post-surgery.

With any luck I could be having my operation sometime in April or May, and then it will be recovery time. Even if I have the surgery laparoscopically (keyhole) it’s a pretty big rework of the old insides, so I will need quite a bit of recuperation time.

I’m being positive and upbeat because that’s the best way to knock Gertrude into submission. Cancer is an ugly, unwanted intruder, but needs to be treated with care so it doesn’t cause more problems. Gertrude is an inconvenience that will make my life pretty difficult for several months, but I am aiming for the minimal impact scenario where I will be up and about and my usual self in time to enjoy the summer months.

Meanwhile there is nothing I can or need to do other than keep healthy and carry on. I will post further updates as and when things happen/change.

Finally, Gertrude doesn’t have a chance, because there is so much love and support around me. Thank you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Caz - just wondering how things are progressing for you with Gertrude. This whole Coronavirus thingy is changing many things. My 6th cycle of chemo was cancelled, as the risk of low immunity and Covid-19 is just too great. Instead of cycle 6, I have been scanned and tattooed ready for 5 blasts of radiotherapy next week, Monday-Friday.
I hope these restrictions are not holding you back in any way - oh yes, and Silver Trees is now closed for the foreseeable, so our plans to move back on there have been shelved.
Hope to hear from you soon. xxxxxx
Chris & Tina