Monday, February 01, 2021

Further along the line


I had my PICC line inserted on Friday. It's a weird feeling - a long thin piece of blue plastic firstly (thank you local anaesthetic) entering my arm and then going all the way along the vein to end up floating at the top of my heart. 

First couple of evenings were rough, with some residual pain (you can see the bruising) and the odd feeling of being aware of the line inside - which is probably more psychological than physical.

Today we went back to have the line 'flushed', the original dressing changed and some bloods taken. It wasn't that difficult, but the process is very ordered. Basically I now have a tap in my arm (the red bit) and you can flush by putting saline in, and take blood out, the same valve. Means less needles, which is good.

Sheena watched and was instructed by the nurse - next time it will be her turn. But before then I'll have my first chemo, next Monday. That will mean the drugs plugged into my tap with a pump that will stay on for two days and back to the hospital to have the pump removed. Then back to the hospital a few days later to have the line cleaned and blood taken which will be done by Sheena herself, under the watchful eye of the nurse.

After that, it will be one week on and one week off for chemo (with the two day pump) and alternate weeks will be line care and bloods, done by Sheena. I am due 10 cycles, so this is going to take around three months. 

There are lots of side effects that I will share once they start hitting, but for now I'm aware I will be very sensitive to cold, have neuropathy (tingling/pain) in my hands and feet, and may feel sick. Oh, and blood clots are a possibility too, but we can keep an eye out for them.

I'm feeling nervous, but keen to get this started so that the end will be in sight. It will take some time to feel human again after chemo stops - but by then I hope the world will be a bit more normal and the NHS under less strain. Then, perhaps, my stoma reversal surgery can be scheduled.

Meantime, I've had my vaccine, I have my PICC line, and I have the most wonderful woman in the world to look after me. I think I'm lucky.

Useful links

Other stories from this blog

2 comments:

Simon J said...

You are such an amazing person Carolyn, so strong, I hope it all goes well and we can't wait to see you back at EAAA.

Conor said...

Lots of love, Carolyn. Looking forward to seeing you back in the game soon! C