Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Treatment planning

Today we went to the hospital for my first proper consultation with the oncology team - in this case, radiotherapy.

I know that surgery is not an option at the moment, but the reassuring news is that the radiotherapy treatment regime would have been what happens first anyway, regardless of Covid-19.

We know the hospital well from Sheena's treatment last year - but it was so weird. The whole of the Wolverstone Ward area was empty - no chairs, no staff, the chemo ward itself closed and dark. We made our way through to radiotherapy - the last time we were there was when Sheena rung the bell. I hope to be doing that in due course too. The chemotherapy patients and others who need cancer treatment have been moved to a local private hospital.

Home made PPE 
Some of the staff wore PPE, some didn't. We took our own basic precautions - the face masks protect them, not us, which is just as important.

The Senior Registrar was very good at giving us time, and detail. He answered all our questions and explained things clearly. I saw the MRI scan of my insides - oops, that much fat?  I also saw my bladder, small intestine and - in the bowel - the denser shadow that is the tumour now known as Gertrude.

The initial plan is for five weeks of radiotherapy - Monday to Friday (I get weekends off, hooray). There will be some side effects, such as tiredness and possibly nausea, but from the sound of it nothing like the burning or pain that Sheena's radiotherapy caused. Different part of the body, different type of radiation I guess.

Along with the radiotherapy I will be taking a tablet form of chemotherapy. This will improve the result of the radiotherapy by10%. There may be side effects from this too, but if they get too bad, I can stop taking it.

After radiotherapy finishes, there will be a period of recovery. And then, if the national situation permits, I will be scheduled for surgery.

All in all it looks like I will be in for a pretty long haul of treatment and recovery, but I am optimistic. The outcome of this programme is 'cure'.

So, off to the hospital again on Thursday for the 'mapping scan', and perhaps some little marker tattoos, and then I hope to find out early next week when my radiotherapy will start.

Thank you for your support, encouragement and watch this space for more news on Gertrude and other things too.

Why not also try...

Little Lifts
Thesia
The City of Cats

No comments: