Friday, December 23, 2022

Family archives


I have some interesting documents from various family connections - such as an acceptance of US Citizenship for Edward Keller (dated 1876) and a rather unpleasant letter about my grandmother's divorce from Leslie Hemsworth (who it seemed also ended up in the USA). I have materials from my step-grandmother too, and of course the full Sheppard Family Histories (but they are staying safe with me and will remain with my family).


The Keller family were my grandmother's second husband's, but he was alienated from his family (previous wife/children) so I have no idea what happened to them or whether they would even be interested in these old documents.

Sepia photograph of Peter Ricu `804

I have looked up to see if there are any groups researching Family History for these families, but unless I wanted to sign up and pay for a service I don't need, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to share these interesting snippets of history. This photo, for example, is 'Cousin Peter Ricu' dated 1804. Who was he? In smart military uniform, isn't he.

I don't want to destroy these old documents, but then again, what do I do with them? I can keep them until I shuffle off, but then someone else will just throw them away.

If you have any ideas about what to do with these documents I'd appreciate it (add in comments). I don't want to throw away those intriguing insights into social history.

Liked this? Try...

(Sorry the wrap around the photos wasn't working today!)



No comments: