Friday, November 26, 2021

Resistance is (not) futile

Picard did escape the Borg in the end.
It's over a year since my surgery - since a large chunk of my lower bowel was removed, evicting Gertrude and her offspring. It's a year since Ripley was introduced and I am now so used to it, I don't really think about her (until she makes a really terrible smell!).  Abdominal surgery is pretty full on (ask anyone who's had a caesarean section) and recovery is slow. But at Ipswich hospital I was put on the 'enhanced recovery after surgery' programme which meant they tried to get me moving on day three (which would have been fine if I hadn't collapsed). 

My initial exercise regime was walking the dogs, gardening and working my way slowly up to chopping logs. Though I was getting my fitness back (and I had lost weight thanks to Ripley) my core - those muscles that had been cut through to complete my therapeutic surgery - had about as firm a six pack as a blobfish.

Initially I started Pilates at our village hall. I still go every Thursday evening and (although I can't do the exercises laying on my front) I am definitely making progress. But a few months ago the Hospital called me - they have a pre-hab and re-hab exercise class for people who will have or have had bowel surgery.

The classes involve resistance bands and, I have to say, the first few sessions, even the warm up got my heart rate up more than I'd been used to since pre-surgery. There were only a few of us in the class - two of us post-op, and one pre-op (though more joined later). Each of us had a unique experience of surgery and recovery, including our instructor, but there is no doubt that every one of us benefitted from the class. I managed a couple of classes at our local swimming pool too (thanks to the John Le Vay centre at Ipswich), but the new job meant I couldn't carry that on during the day sadly.

I'd never done resistance exercises before - but there was so much that was relatable with the breath training I'd done with Jen Tiller. I love it when things all tie up - Buteyko breathing, Pilates, resistance exercise in swimming class and resistance band training.

Now I'm back at work, and though I sit at a desk all day again (instead of pottering around the house and garden), I find that I am improving my posture, breathing better, and still doing regular resistance and Pilates classes.

Resistance isn't futile - resistance is part of getting my fitness back and building confidence in my body. It may have had a serious run in with cancer and lost a large section of my insides, but I am alive, and kicking, and grateful for the care of the NHS, and the love of my wife and family. Resistance is futile in just this one instance - love. 

Useful links:

Liked this? Try...

No comments: