Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Challenged!

My writing buddy Cathy and I were chatting on line and I said how nice it will be not to write about cancer for a chance. I asked her for a challenge, and she said to write a story for my grandson! So here goes... (this is written to be read aloud)


Deep below the slippy slimy sludgy grunge, there lived a Blobby Grubber. Now you will have never seen a Blobby Grubber I'm sure, because you will never have gone deep below the slippy slimy sludgy grunge! The blobby grubber looks blue and green, like the slippy slimy sludgy grunge he lives below, so he can hide very quickly when the Gloop Monsters come. 

If you tried to grab a Blobby Grubber you'd never succeed - they are squirmy and soft and can slide out of the grasp of almost anything! The other things that live beneath the slippy slimy sludgy grunge are the small and speedy Tiddflippers, and they flit about like little lightning bolts, their shiny neon stripes lighting up the dark world beneath the slippy slimy sludgy grunge turning it into a funfair of colour. There are also the Glup Truggers, which are fat and slow, and live on the bottom, clearing up the grungy bits that fall to the floor of the slippy, slimy sludgy grunge. The Glup Truggers were often chased by Gloop Monsters, so they would bury themselves in the grunge at thte bottom, and hide until the Gloopers had gone.

One particular Blobby Grubber, called Groop, lived a long time ago beneath the slippy slimy sludgy grunge and - he thought - what is above? He was a curious Blobby Grubber and wanted to see more of the world than  his dark, slippy slimy world. But he didn't know how to get above the grunge, so, he needed help.

He asked the Tiddflippers if they ever went above the grunge, and they said no, there was too much fun to be had rushing around below.  

OK - I have by no means finished this story. My question is - do you want me to? Every story should have a beginning, middle and end - but all I have here is the beginning. And there's lots of 'tell' instead of 'show'. But which is best for children's fiction? Any suggestions appreciated - please comment below!

If I had to illustrate this story, I just might use a blobfish....

Photo Credit: Wonderopolis


No comments: