Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Update and a request

MRI Scanner (C) Southampton NHS
My scan came back as looking good, and so are my bloods, so I am starting chemo on 11 January, with my PICC line revised date now 8th Jan. At least I won't have the PICC over Christmas. But of course with all the changes in tiers, and the spread of this new variant of covid, I guess it's not guaranteed. What will be will be - the most important thing is to look forward and tackle each challenge as it arises.

The side-effects of the chemo are not great, especially the neuropathy and the feeling of coldness in the extremities and the throat (meaning that cold air can make you breathless). And the idea of a runny tummy with an ileostomy doesn't exactly thrill me either - but whatever comes, I will deal with. One more stage in getting rid of Gertrude and her offspring completely.

Of course this doesn't guarantee that it will never come back, but I will have regular scans, so we will be able to keep tabs and if something suspicious does arise, it will be spotted early on.

And that's the purpose of this blog post - not to worry about the New Year, treatment etc, but to ask each and every one of you if you would do the following:

  • Listen to your body - if something doesn't feel right, get it checked.
  • If you need help, or feel like things are too much - ask for help. You are strong but everyone needs a hand sometimes.
  • Make sure you keep your scan appointments, and if you are due one and it hasn't turned up, then ask. Covid should not stop you getting checked; even if it can't be done immediately, make sure you are scheduled whether it's for a mammogram, smear or whatever. 
  • Support your NHS by using common sense and avoiding contact as much as you can - it's something that is going to hurt this Christmas, but it's important for all of us. Those with cancer - diagnosed or not - may be especially vulnerable.
  • Be kind. There is so much stress, so much sadness and loss - your kind word, gesture or deed could make the difference.

I have had a strange year to say the least - with Covid knocking my treatment schedule for six - but I'm here, and looking forward to 2021 and many more years too. I want to thank everyone for their support - from friends who I know well to those I am just 'social media' buddies with, to my family, the NHS who have been amazing, and my employers. 

I am not alone through everything I've been through and am going through, so my final comment is to thank my amazing partner, Sheena, for not only supporting me, but also helping my mother, who can be challenging sometimes!

Here's to 2021 - to the success of the vaccine, to common sense, and to kindness.

Useful links

No comments: