Wednesday, October 21, 2020

X marks the spot

A bee. Nature is amazing. 
Although the surgery I will have next Monday is to be laparoscopic (keyhole), it's still a big operation - an anterior resection. One of the things that will happen is I will have a bit of my bowel brought out so that my natural digestive processes will bypass my damaged lower bowel, allowing time to heal.

I met the stoma nurse this week and she explained a lot, which certainly eased some of my concerns about this part of the procedure. She came armed with sample bags, leaflets and a black sharpie. On my belly I now have two crosses in circles, a bit like the Extinction Rebellion logo. But they are there to mark where, according to what happens during my operation, I will have my stoma.   

If, when I wake up, the cross on the right has been used, it would be access from my small intestine, meaning it's a temporary ileostomy and I will only have it for six months or so. If I wake up and the left hand cross has been used to access my larger intestine, it will mean a colostomy, which is permanent.

Either way, it will mean that my cancer has been removed from my lower bowel, which has to be good. I have been told that after the operation I should not to eat sweetcorn, and avoid gassy drinks; I guess that's so I don't shoot someone by accident or float away on an inflated bag.

It's only a few days now before surgery, and yes - I'm nervous. I won't be able to blog for a while, but my partner will be keeping friends updated.

Thank you for your support, and remember, if you have any symptoms that you are unsure of, don't hesitate - visit your GP. You are not wasting their time, and you could be saving your life.

Useful links

Bowel Cancer UK

Cancer signs and symptoms (NHS)

Photo: (C) Carolyn Sheppard



No comments: