Friday, March 20, 2020

Under the knife

This may be a greusome thought, but I'm actually really pleased to know that I have an operation coming up. Having seen Sheena go through chemotherapy, radiotherapy (the burns were so much worse than we had anticipated), and surgery, I know I'm getting off lightly. Well, as far as I know, that's all I'll need.

The cancer has not spread, the scans show no problems with my major organs. If bowel cancer spreads, it usually goes to lungs or liver, and they are confident I've no problems there.

The margins of the cancer are clear too, so the removal of it in my tubes should be relatively straightforward as well. This all bodes well for an excellent outcome!

But, of course, we are amid the most extraordinary healthcare crisis this planet has seen since the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic, or even since the plague. Well, cancer surgery is going ahead but less urgent surgery (such as the plan for fixing my dodgy finger joints) are being cancelled.  They are also cancelling gall stone surgery - which I am sorry to hear. I remember that was so very painful!

So all in all, a good news day for me today. Next week I should get an appointment with my consultant, and then schedule in the surgery. After surgery at least six weeks off work, and probably six months before I'll be weilding the chainsaw in anger again, but I think that's a small price to pay.

Reminder - if you have unusual bowel symptoms, please get them checked. Don't wait until it may be too late. Your health matters. You matter. Take care.

Photo (C) The Simpsons / Matt Groenig

Useful links
Symptoms of bowel cancer
CRUK - about cancer
Ipswich Hospital Blossom Appeal

Liked this? Try...
Learning new skills
Ghost Stories
Adelong Morning

No comments: