Friday, October 07, 2011

Letters to my brother

Hi Phil

I still hold out some hope that you are out there and may, on occasion, do a bit of internet searching and find me. But even if you don't, it's still good to talk to you - in the only way I can.

I've just got back from a holiday in Arizona and had a fabulous time. I really enjoyed walking round the various environments - it's such a diverse state! I think you could probably fit GB inside Arizona about six times...

I go out there in particular to visit my friend Nadine, but also it's a place I really like. Lots of interesting birds, wildlife and architecture. (See my visit to Ramsey Canyon, amazing!)

At the moment I'm living just with Mel - it's weird! Number one son is away at Uni again, and husband is living with his partner the other side of Cambridge. So I am learning to be single. Weird feeling - having never actually lived on my own. Well, OK, I'm living with Mel so I'm not 'on my own', but she's nearly 18 and not exactly living in my pocket.  It is nice to come home when she's in though.

Do you like the picture I posted? It's our dad's half-brother, Peter, in 1925 on the boat out to Australia. He was just 16 when he was shipped off to Oz. I found out all about him from his granddaughter, who is some kind of cousin to us I guess. Her great grand-mother (Elsa) was our grandmother. I know dad always wanted to know what happened to him, so it's kind of cool to find out now.

I have a new job which is really enjoyable and hugely challenging - I'm learning lots of new stuff and really stretching my brain. But it's very worthwhile and with a subject like dementia, something that's going to affect us all at some point I guess.

But mum's ok, she's not got any signs of dementia any more than the usual forgetfulness that we all experience. The difference between being forgetful and dementia or Alzheimer's has been explained to me really simply: "Forgetting where you put your keys is one thing; putting your keys in the fridge is another." Makes sense, doesn't it?

Sally has health issues of course, she'll be 80 in January after all. One of them is macular degeneration which really affects her eyesight, but there's not a lot that can be done unfortunately. She's managing fine now and in fact has just been on a two week holiday with Daphne down to Cornwall and the South coast.

She's given up the house in Mallorca now - it was too hard for her to manage. But Carlota has said we can go visit any time we want. It would be nice to go back out there, but it won't be the same.

Well, back to work, but - just wanted to catch up.

No comments: